The gloves are off! Labor pledged $50 million last month to 'upgrade and improve Balcatta Senior High School' and stated that 'before the last election the Barnett Liberal Government made a commitment to this and they have done nothing.'.
It seems the WA Liberal Party have taken action and this month increased Labor's offer by $10M and listed the improvements their $60M investment would bring.
A completely redeveloped and expanded Balcatta Senior High School will be home to new specialist soccer and academic programs, under a re-elected Liberal-led Government.
- Balcatta Senior High School to be completely redeveloped and expanded
- Heritage-listed buildings to be gutted and modernised
- Specialist soccer and academic programs to be established
Premier Colin Barnett said $60 million would be invested to construct new classrooms and facilities, and modernise heritage-listed buildings.
“This redevelopment will turn Balcatta Senior High into a state-of-the-art school of choice,” the Premier said. “It will also increase capacity to 1,200 students.”
The redevelopment will include a new Performing Arts Centre, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics facilities, Design and Technology, gym, cafeteria, student services and new classrooms.
Education Minister Peter Collier said a specialist soccer program, along with an academic extension program for students in Years 7 to 10 would also be established.
“This will be in additional to the already outstanding programs in Gifted and Talented Visual Arts and specialist Dance and Multi Media Graphics,” Mr Collier said.
The redevelopment is part of a wider expansion plan creating 4,200 new permanent places for Perth students, easing pressure at Churchlands, Mount Lawley and Carine Senior High Schools, as well as Shenton College.
“Once the Balcatta redevelopment is complete, I would expect more students will choose the school to complete their secondary studies,” Mr Collier said.
- The redevelopment of Balcatta SHS was foreshadowed by the Education Minister in September 2016, when he announced plans for the new City Beach College.
- Balcatta Senior High School was opened in 1967
- The school currently has 628 students enrolled.
- Heritage buildings at Balcatta SHS are the only design of their type in WA.